(The Right) Content is King - Your Starter Guide to SEO from Moz
"SEO encompasses both the technical and creative elements required to improve rankings, drive traffic, and increase awareness in search engines. There are many aspects to SEO, from the words on your page to the way other sites link to you on the web. Sometimes SEO is simply a matter of making sure your site is structured in a way that search engines understand."
Ok, so let's get the obvious out of the way. SEO is hard and there are no shortcuts. In fact, any shortcuts that you you normally see are almost certainly a fast track to getting penalties from Google. Blackhat SEO techniques like keyword stuffing, cloaking, duplicating content and the like are sure fire ways that small business websites start showing up on Googles' radar screen...in a bad way.
So how can a small business get started with SEO? This guide from Moz has been viewed over 3 million times by people trying to figure out how to get their arms around the basics of SEO. So can you, the overworked, non-expert improve your website SEO by yourself? The answer is yes! In this guide, small businesses will learn about
- How Search Engines Operate
- How People Interact with Search Engines
- Why Search Engine Marketing is Necessary
- The Basics of Search Engine Friendly Design
- Keyword Research
- How Usability, Experience and Content Affect Rating
- Growing Popularity and Links
- Search Engine Tools and Services
- Myths and Misconceptions about Search Engines
- Measuring and Tracking Success